KnitIdeas.com

A place to share the love of knitting

Does anyone else ever use a weight other than the recommended weight for knitting projects?  I'm using a worsted weight yarn instead a DK and it seems to be working out ok. I did the math to figure out how many stitches across I needed to get the correct size.  I am knitting the size with the closest number to that number.  (I ended up knitting a XS to end up with a medium)  I'm using all lengths for the medium.  I'll follow up with the results once I seam it and have my daughter try it on.  Fingers crossed!

Views: 55

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I know Gauge is what we all know is important.but I have done the same.One thing I had found out was my bamboo needles gave a smaller gauge vs. metal. Worsted and DK is Soo close,and Not all patterns are right on either.I just go with what is working for me.Gauge if close with the right needle? They dont ever say Metal or Bamboo(wood) Huge difference for me. Cant wait to see how it came out for you.

I used to do this for my daughter when she was between kids and adult sizes.  Why are there no great patterns for a girls size 10 to 14?  I would choose the adult patterns and use DK weight instead of worsted and make needle/hook adjustments to create a smaller than XS.  The sweater came out PERFECTLY!  It fits her perfectly and all of the lengths worked out.  Thank goodness for knitting math!

RSS

Events

Notes

KnitIdeas.com on your iPhone!

What to keep up with the latest on Knitideas.com on your iPhone?  Just add /m to your URL

so... access us from your phone with this URL:  http://www.KnitIdeas.com/m   

Created by alpacajim Sep 20, 2009 at 9:30am. Last updated by alpacajim Sep 20, 2009.

Badge

Loading…

Luxury Yarns and Rovings

© 2017   Created by alpacajim.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service